Aug

Magicians, from anonymous

August 15, 2014 |

This goes with the chair's admonishment to never play poker with someone named doc. Never play poker with a magician either, you will always lose.

Larry Williams writes:

There is this trick I've seen which is perhaps the all time best card trick. I call you on the phone
a million miles away, you cut a deck and choose a card. I tell you what the card is.

Seems impossible, until you know how it's done and that's a lot like trading.

Jeff Watson writes:

Larry, bravo, but do you think
you should let the masses in on this trick? That trick is the bomb and a
variation of that is my current bet of the moment at the 13th hole of
my club. I try to be hush-hush about profit centers like these nice
little bar wagers, and any other prop bet, including wheat, which seems
to be at the center of the board on the craps table lately. The wheat
market's been asking how may ways does it take for the pass to be made 4
times in row with the dice?(I know the answer, just trying to provoke
some good insight from the readers).

Comments

1. Jim Davis on August 18, 2014 12:27 am

Not impossible, just 52 to 1.

2. Andrew Goodwin on August 18, 2014 3:30 am

My roomate at college as an undergrad operated as a street performer to make tuition money doing magic in the Square. He challenged me to cards for poker one day. After he won 12 hands in a row I said I had had enough. Then he showed me how he could deal bottoms and seconds at will.

Doc is the first of the people to watch out for but there are many more.

3. Jeff Watson on August 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Jim, not 52:1 at all. It is a sure thing like a few thousand card wagers I used successfully in my youth. As Damon Runyon famously quipped, “One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to come up to you and show you a nice brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not bet this man, for as sure as you are standing there, you are going to end up with an earful of cider.”

4. Jeff Watson on August 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Here’s a nice variation of that trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vos4hDQlI

5. thomas on August 19, 2014 1:56 pm

jeff, you should write a book on your knowledge of card tricks and vast superior knowledge of wheat futures too. its unfair you sit there knowing what can happen in the markets.

6. Jeff Watson on August 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Thomas, My knowledge of wheat futures is highly overrated, and I only manage to pick up a few table scraps. My knowledge of stupid prop bets is highly underrated though, and logic would dictate that you’d much rather engage me in the wheat market than the prop bet market. You would have a great chance against me in the wheat market…..the prop bet market, I don’t think so.

7. Jim Davis on August 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Enjoyed the youtube video, and clearly the moving Jack was true and undeniable telekinesis. I can tell the difference reliably between that and some run of the mill fakery.

Now, what Larry suggested did not appear to involve the use of a shill. So if that’s the same gaff, some details were missing from the description. If not, then it would involve something quite miraculous to guess a card remotely.

8. Igor on August 28, 2014 10:11 pm