Thoughts on Russia, from
In my travels and experience with modern Russia:
- The average Russian is not only religious, but also very superstitious.
- They are nationalistic in a way different from America. Northern
white Russians consider themselves as Russian race (i.e., Jewish, Azeri, etc are
"not" Russian), and this race identity manifests itself in
language, culture, arts.
- They have trouble living down the great ironic lies; that virtues
described in Russian writings and music are the exception in real
life, which is replete with dishonesty, graft, corruption, infidelity,
- MAD (mutually assured destruction) of the post WWII period has lost
potency, and the vacuum has been filled with Russian oil money and its
- Most of the time Russia will take the other side to the US, in part
out of competitive envy and in part to pad its influence account.
The fact that Russia sits on huge oil while having military deterrence
makes for a formidable opponent.