Jul

The chair is in the down east 1000 population of Vinalhaven but saw the Murray Federer match. Murray is so stiff and immobile. His serve has no lower body in it. His game is stale and dull and uniform. A total non-entity with no potential whatsoever. He seems a sullen poor sport to boot–must be an agrarian. He should take lessons from Jack Aubrey. It was a foregone conclusion he was going to lose… and he gave up like Djokovic last year in the US Open somewhere in the third set, totally unforgivable. Has no bend in his knees. And in any other sport except perhaps curling he would be bringing up the rear.

Comments

1. steve leslie on July 10, 2012 9:26 pm

wow chair who licked the red off of your candy. I completely disagree on many points.

Statistically Murray was serving very well and had a lot of pace on it. He was being clocked in the high 120’s on his first serve. He broke Rog in the first game of the first set. he won that set 6-4 He played extremely well. Rog came back in set two winning 7-5 set extremely close and Rog was serving flawlessly.

Set three was extremely close I believe 2-2 or 3-3 when the rains came in. I think this was the absolute critical point in the match. The rain delay had a big effect on Andy. Rog wins set 3 6-3. He was not the same after the play resumed. Rog wins set 4 6-4.

Rog served flawlessly after the first set. Murray played his heart out. He has the overwhelming problem of playing in the same period of the three greatest players of all time. This is akin to playing golf during the late 60’s and 70’s against Jack Nicklaus Arnold Palmer and Gary Player.

Remember that 32 of the last 35 major championships have been won by 3 people. Gaudin won the 2004 French, Safin the 2005 Australian, and Del Potro the 2009 US Open. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_Men%27s_Singles_champions#2000s

No Brit has won the Open since 1936 when Fred Perry won it. And Murray is Scottish. He carried all of the pressure of the UK and performed magnificently. His consolation speech afterward was inspiration and hearwarming. He was extremely gracious to Rog. Furthermore Murray is 25 years old. In his last 7 Major tournaments his record is as follows. F,SF,SF,SF,SF,QF,F.

Several years back you criticized Nadal harshly saying his career was all but over. This was after an injury. I wrote back then that rumors of his demise were far to premature. He would be vindicated. Since your outrageous prediction he has gone on to win 8 Major titles since 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Nadal

You have always espoused to counting and not succumb to anecdotal observation. I trust my statistical representations vindicates this fine young man who by many of his peers and professionals who are around him attest to his character. Even the often sully John McEnroe poured out platitudes. as did Rog in his acceptance speech of the trophy.

SL.

2. Wade on July 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Generally agree; Murray is more of a mosquito defending the baseline, although this is changing. He fails to convince opponents that he has mastered any part of the game, maybe because it seems like he does not enjoy playing which may inhibit him from innovating and correcting mistakes on-the-fly. Federer’s wide first-serves enabled nearly 2x more net play and perfection down-the-line, when utilized. Conditions increasingly reminded of Federer-Roddick ‘04 after the second set.

3. barman on July 11, 2012 10:39 am

Agrarian?

4. Peter on July 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Yes wholeheartedly agree. Although Federer hasn’t been playing his best, he just looked so gracious on the court. The two photos are the proof in the pudding. Federer looks at ease, and Murray is straining!

I love studying champions and greatness, taking what I can out of their behaviour and implementing it in my own to improve my own life.

I just came across your blog Victor and Co, I’ve only just started my journey in trading and have been studying finance/economics and just global jabber in my own time and I’m loving it! Just getting stuck into Triumph of the Optimists now. It’s so funny when you spoke about Ayn Rand in your list, I read the Fountainhead last year and have been reading Atlas Shrugged this year, and the shift in my thinking has been phenomenal. Just always striving for greatness and drawing strength from within and being your own beacon of morality and setting your own standard - in the same vein as John Galt.

Being unshaken from the path, which is clearly something you do being struck with so many setbacks, you keep doing it in the belief that you can.

To us all being champions, thanks Vic.
    Peter

5. Mark Long on July 11, 2012 6:19 pm

I’m sorry the chair and others feel the way they do about Murray. When I first saw him more than 7 years ago, I thought he was overrated. A bunch of more knowledgable people than I were saying he was the next best thing, but I couldn’t see it. He was mentally fragile and that mental weakness impacted his game. But my appreciation for the guy has grown enormously over time. He is a pretty complete player now (as evidenced by his results), and is possibly the best raw athlete in men’s tennis. As Steve Leslie said, Murray suffers from playing at the same time as Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic. Pretty tough to crash that party. But I think he’ll get at least one major.

6. antti pohjonen on July 12, 2012 2:27 am

never understood what it was that was special about murray’s game. well, special enough for him to win as many matches as he does. probably i do not watch enough of his matches. all i can say is that while david ferrer brings the worst out of his opponents, murray brings the worst out of the spectator.

regards
    antti

7. vic on July 12, 2012 6:56 am

good luck to you peter and let us know if we can help you. you’ve read the rite books, and seem on the rite path. vic