Jul

Lubabalo Kondlo on right, Alan Millhone center

[Photo: Center, Alan Millhone as referee. Left: free style world champion Ron " Suki " King of Barbados. Right: GM Lubabalo Kondlo of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Match of twenty games played at Medina, Ohio.]

To: Alan Millhone

Molo Mhlekazi

I'm Luyanda Ngwenda. I studied Internal Auditing at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University and am unemployed. I'm passionate about changing people's lives for the better hence it was easy for me to help Lubabalo because I think the game of Draughts can be applied as a metaphor for life, i.e. one good move pushes one to a win, one bad move could push one to destruction, in reality and on the Draughts board. We live in a society with plethora of underdevelopment, poverty and disease. Draughts can be used as tool to fight these ills… and of course create more world champs like Lubabalo.

Hope I answered you, Sir!

Sincerely,

Luyanda Ngwenda

Port Elizabeth, South Africa

[Ed.'s Note:  Molo Mhlekazi in Xhosa language is roughly equivalent to "Hello Sir!"]

Comments

1. Anatoly Veltman on July 7, 2010 5:06 pm

Reminded me of personal experience dating back to spring 1987. I was trying to “find myself” in markets. Hung my degree in Finance above the multiple monochrome graphics monitors, and stared at them basically 24 hours for about a year. One night (in my sleep!) I clearly saw a Bullish pattern progression on daily charts of Gold and Silver - a perfect reflection of right-flank checker-board attack, which I coined at the peak of my 100-square-board Soviet Championship career a decade earlier. In a matter of one month of April 1987, gold advanced from 400 to 482, silver doubled from $5 to $10 area; my personal account went from five to seven figures in a month, trading in and out and aggressively pyramiding on pull-backs - all within perfect sequence of that checker attack pattern!

Too bad I disregarded the fact that was real money, not a checker play-off. In a matter of a single April 27th session, trading floor of the Comex went totally, and I mean totally disorderly (over the next few days, tens of thousands lots of Silver futures still couldn’t match all buyers and sellers - while May paper became deliverable, and April contract seized to exist, period!) Some locals could not be found, and trading cards were rumored burned! A naive idealist in me kept studying market through that mess, instead of looking into legal options and trying to revive my seven-figure fortune - and ended up back with a five-figure account; while the precious metals markets couldn’t regain footing for a decade to follow… Only to embark on their next very similar right-flank attack beginning in late 1999. Alas, I totally abandoned checkers - and employed mostly much more complex strategies in much more “real markets” by then!

2. Mwaaza Sakala on July 13, 2010 5:08 am

I am Zambian checkers player desiring to join some draughts clubs in South Africa so that I can participate in some international tournaments.In Zambia we do not have an association for checkers, hence, I find it very difficult to expose myself. I must say I am a Zambian checkers champion intending to extend my championship worldwide if given the opportunity.I would want to know if it's possible to join your clubs. Please, tell me the requirements for one to join your clubs because South Africa is near and I can always travel when there is a tournament.

3. vic on July 14, 2010 12:59 pm

If Mr. Mhlekazi will send us his email or call Linda at (203)840-0777 and give it to us, the chairman of the American Checkers Federation Mr. Millhone will make him an honorary member.

vic

4. Mwaaza Sakala on August 3, 2010 9:56 am

Please, i would want to know if you do have checkers tournaments in South Africa. If yes, please, don't hesitate to invite me so that i can also participate and gain international exposure.

I am not content with my just being a Zambian checkers champion. Hence, it's my sincere hope and desire that reign worldwide in checkers. My contact mobile # is 0026 0977 575 785

5. shakes mbomvana on September 9, 2010 5:11 pm

I am from Here Port Elizabeth-South Africa i see Lubabalo Kondlo almost daily and we have other players here that are far better that him who are waiting in line to be give a chance but dont know how. Kondlo is a good player but the world deserves to see other acts from here even Mr Mhlekanzi Ngwendu is here with me you can email him via my email. smbomvana@mandelametro.gov.za or shakesryan@gmail.com +27732966106 +2741 3924255

6. shakes mbomvana on September 13, 2010 3:32 pm

I just want to deeply apologise to Mhlekazi Ngwenda for confusing him with Mr Ngwendu that i know who is also a good checkers player. I am very sorry for that,i didnt mean any harm more especially with someone who wants to help people like you. I just want to players making something out of this game more especially in this city with so much talent.

Thanks

7. Colin Webster on June 30, 2011 9:29 am

If Mr. Mwaaza Sakala contacts Mind Sports South Africa (MSSA) on mindsportssa@iafrica.com, the MSSA will be more than hppy help him establish a federation in Zambia.

Mr. Sakala is also welcome to enter and play in any South aFrican championships.

8. yasael on July 28, 2011 7:14 am

soy venezolano..me gusta jugar a las damas creo q tengo buen nivel en este juego,es uno de mis hobbys favoritos..mi pregunta es si a ustedes los profesionales les pagan por esto de jugar damas? y tambien quisiera tener la oportunidad de poder jugar contra uno de ustedes…sera q me agregan al msn o facebook y conversamos amigos? kondlo

9. Phumlani on June 12, 2013 3:41 am

Good day,

I’m staying here in East London and I would love to be in contact with you guys, as I’m also a checker player.
    There’s a lot that I need to learn from the game.
    I love this game very much.

There’a local club here in East lond which has been recently estabished, I want to interact with you guys.

10. Ephrame Demissie on July 17, 2013 7:03 am

My name is Ephrame Demissie.I am an Ethiopian & like Checkers Game very much .Even if I didn’t participate in any national & international tournament I can resist the grand masters that has better experince.No one win me in Ethiopia with this game. Any interested person can join me at my e-mail or call me at 0923929132.0923280511

11. Thabo on November 25, 2013 3:23 am

I am from Free state in a small town called Vrede, i am very much interested in playing competitive checkers where can i play? Who do we contact in Free State to establish a league for these wonderful game? I would like to play you guys on line @ Flyordie.com my number 073 4686 054