Apr

ConesPerhaps the best block for food in the US is Bleecker Street between 6th and 7th Aves. About 25 restaurants highlighted by Cones, which has the best banana ice cream in the world, as well as the best rated ice cream in New York. Making up the other side of the pair of pants is Bleecker Street Pizza on 7th, rated the best pizza in New York, and Joe's Pizza on 6th and Bleecker, which others say is best. I found the cheesecake at Rocco's the best I've had in New York, and I like Amy's Bread for a good chocolate chip cookie and nice whole wheat breads. I also like Murray's Cheese for their advertising and very nice cheddars. Grom, the second best ice cream in New York. John's Pizza has been there for 90 years and Faicco's has very good Italian specialties, a total beautiful experience. Comparable to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx — doesn't have the Botanical Gardens but does have two very nice chess houses and you can buy your honey some good dresses at Reese's.

Comments

1. katie on April 23, 2009 3:59 pm

I have to disagree, Vic. Cones is good, but definitely not the best banana in the world. Too sweet. I would point you to Whole Foods in Austin, the old Treadwells in North Andover, Herrell's in Harvard Square and Kimball's in Cambridge.

2. Jon Margolis on April 23, 2009 4:27 pm

The stores from Amy's Bread down to Faicco's are the Chelsea Market stores, which you can also find inside the Chelsea Market. I would agree that Bleecker btwn 6th and 7th is tops in the city for a single block of food choices. I go into Murray's every weekend during the summer and have them pick two cheeses for me at random. An amazing block to collect different foods from different spots and make your own meal.

3. jeff watson on April 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Shinya’s book has really influenced my ideas on health, and has made me decide to lead a healthier life through better nutrition. That being said, I hope that when I’m in that neighborhood in the immediate future, I don’t fall off the wagon.

Jeff

4. Craig Bowles on April 24, 2009 7:20 am

I still need to try John’s but even Totonno’s in Coney Island isn’t as good as Grimaldi’s to me. Down the block is River Cafe, which is my favorite nice restaurant in NYC as you eat right on the water. Dumbo also has Almondine bakery around the corner and everything they do is brilliant. Best bread and all the pasteries could be a picture in a magazine. Across the street from them is the chocolatier and the Water Street Irish pub with a big screen. Who would have thought such a block in Dumbo?

5. Adam Sterling on April 24, 2009 10:38 am

My wife and I live in the Bronx, so it’s a pleasure to see Vic pointing out one of this borough’s true cultural and culinary gems, Arthur Avenue in the Belmont section. Remember Dion and the Belmonts?

“Arthur Avenue” is actually a set of shops and restaurants along the avenue itself and also along 187th street, including butchers, bakers, pasta makers and cheese-mongers who have been in business at these original locations since before WW2.

As it’s the Bronx, there are virtually no tourists save occasional small groups of Japanese women awe-struck by watching Americans make noodles. This is New York’s real Little Italy.

Do come up and see us sometime, but not necessarily for the pizza. Neighborhood pizza is mediocre, not on a par with any of those Vic names along Bleecker Street.

This lack is made up for by Dominick’s, a family-owned restaurant with family-style seating, in which the waiter will tell you what you’re eating as there is no printed menu, later puts a bottle of Sambuca down in front of you for flavoring your espresso, and then tells you the cost of your meal. No bills are presented, no credit cards accepted, no reservations taken.

I shop and have lunch in the neighborhood every Wednesday. It’s always a fun time.

Adam Sterling.

6. Mandingo on April 25, 2009 1:17 pm

I speculate what is the factor that made so many great food places cluster toguether so tightly in such a small area, and why food, why not china stores or clothing or anything else. What attracted this herding?