Mar

Optical IllusionA search for the phrase optical illusions on Google throws up a variety of very interesting websites. For a speculator I feel there are many pertinent questions that arise from a survey of these sites and the ensconced illusions in them.

1. Why is there an illusion of motion, inter-connected spaces, impossible possibilities in the pictures carrying optical illusions, when actually there is none?
  2. What market situations produce an illusion of motion and life, when actually there is none?
  3. Which analytical tools are taken by the illusion of motion and or direction in markets, when actually there is none?
  4. What attributes of any one analytical technique or set of techniques together would save one from believing the non-existent?

There is a long list of many questions possible when exploring some optical illusions that a student of markets will find. Why not identify some questions that are more relevant to the markets and then try to answer them?

The usual first hand cliché would be that chart-watching is an optical illusion, but it perhaps is better for us to avoid that, so as to get to more useful ideas.

Comments

1. David Whitesel on March 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Optical illusions are all part of the daily. Think back…when this song came out, it was an audio illusion….me thinks its just the right story to describe the present. Someone told me precogition has a lead time.

2. Newton Linchen on March 24, 2009 11:02 am

Wow.

It makes us think about the optical illusions of chart reading. The eye catches “patterns” that are no more than random… But they seem to be “there”.

A great breaktrhrough came to me when I started researching in NUMBERS, (OHLC and so on) rather than “chart patterns”.

Newton.

3. George Parkanyi on March 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Ever had one of those bizarre moments when your brain does something weird and you stop at a green light, and then start on a red (at least until you are jarred back to reality by screeching tires and angry horns.)?

I suppose you could sell when you meant to buy, and vice versa. Trying to manage too many positions at once could engender such confusion. Or buying the wrong market altogether - “Did I say Feeder Cattle? I meant Eurodollars.”

Short ETFs are pretty crafty now. “I want to go long the short Dow. No wait, is that right? …”

Usually for me its pretty basic and understandable. Stocks up, stocks down. Wax on, wax off.

Cheers,
    George

4. Keely-Shaye on September 9, 2009 12:26 pm

it looks deadlee !

5. Fatty Williams on September 16, 2009 10:54 am

It moves??

6. duniyadekh on September 18, 2009 5:27 am

Copyrights make my Eyes Rain. I cry Big Crocodile Tears for Copyrights. T.T

7. mason on October 29, 2009 6:54 pm

this is an amazing pice or art — if you stare hard at it for a while then it all stops.

8. emma on February 10, 2010 12:17 pm

optical ilutions make me dizzy

9. Anonymous on February 27, 2010 12:00 pm

tht looks awsom!!!!!!!!!!

10. paul john manuel on March 4, 2010 5:39 am

it's moving even it doesn't move it seems that our eye can passed the true sight with this kind of illusions it driving me crazy then

11. melanie on April 1, 2010 9:08 pm

it actually moves its not an illusion i noticed that and im 9

12. Anonymous on April 22, 2010 12:22 am

this thing is so cool but yet so weird but cool yeah i like love illusions they r so cool

13. gabby on May 29, 2010 8:25 pm