Oct

Arnold, from Steve Leslie

October 23, 2008 |

What are the odds? A man who excels in the obscure sport of bodybuilding, hails from Austria, can't speak English, moves to America, makes an obscure Hercules movie. Now he starts to make movies about a mythical character named Conan. He becomes the biggest box office draw in the world, marries into one of the most powerful political families in America, is elected Governor of the largest state in America and lives a fantasy that we can usually read about only in fairy tales.

Do you think you could learn something from such a man?

Comments

1. iconoclast on October 27, 2008 9:40 am

2. Jeff Watson on October 27, 2008 9:45 am

The thief in "Conan the Barbarian," Subotai was played by Gerry Lopez. Lopez is a surfer who was arguably one of the best stylists in surfing in the 1970s. His Zen like approach to surfing was comparable to the way Joe DiMaggio played baseball, using economy of motion, fluidity, and making the most difficult look easy. His surfing at Pipeline in Oahu could only be described as "elegant," and he was the Pinchas Zuckerman of surfing. Lopez had a big role in "Conan the Barbarian" with Arnold, and several other roles in major films, but his best film role is linked below as the guy surfing the first couple of waves about a minute into the video.

Jeff

3. steve leslie on October 27, 2008 9:40 pm

All I can say to "iconoclast" is that it is obviously a waste of time to even attempt a conversation. And successful people do not waste their time with losers because losers never bring you to a higher plane; they always drag you down to their level.

4. Curmudgeon 5349 on October 28, 2008 7:02 pm

iconoclast's answer is short to the extent of being perhaps elliptical, but it deserves consideration. Like him, I do not see much that I could learn from AS. Personally, I am trying to become more like Woody Allen.

5. Ron on October 29, 2008 9:18 am

S Les, I would much rather converse with someone who gives a short and simple answer, then someone who raves like an insane man whenever someone disagrees with him.

As for your post.. the odds are very good. Star Wars is a big hit, and hollywood looks for other fantasy stories. Settle on a Barbarian. Who else to play it than a body builder? Is it a suprise that body builder is Austrian? Not to me.

So a big sex symbol marries a rich woman. No surprise there either.

I suppose I could learn something from him, but I could learn more from you i.e. stay away from you lest you fly off the handle at the slightest hint that someone disagrees with you.

Get some help. I suggest Lexapro but I would talk to a doctor first.

6. steve on October 29, 2008 2:18 pm

As the Great Arnold Schwarzenegger said in Kindergarten cop as to the physical attributes of boys vs girls:

"Thanks for the tip."

Lexapro: this is for depression and general anxiety disorder. I find lithium more helpful but if you are an MD, please write me a prescription and I will fill it. While you are at it I am out of the blue pills. Perhaps that is the genesis of my Angst in the first place. Have you considered this?

As far as being insane: that is what they used to say about me at the Institute.

One last quote from the great Arnold Schwarzenegger "I'll be back".

One final quote from the hilarious philosopher Gilbert Gottfried "Arnold Schwarzenegger walks into a bar………"

7. Jeff Watson on October 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Steve,

I really enjoyed Gottfried’s joke that started with…..A guy walks into a talent agency and tells the agent that, “I have an act for you, it’s a really family act………”

Jeff

8. steve on October 30, 2008 10:29 am

This is going to be my last comment about the great Arnold Schwarzenegger. In my original post, I included some of his famous quotes. Here are a few who did not make it and a link to view those who would like to see more. And by the way, Guys like him do not come around all the time, it is what makes guys like him so special.

Everything I have, my career, my success, my family, I owe to America.

For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

9. Jeff Watson on October 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Steve,
    Despite what the naysayers say about Arnold, I find him to be the present day Austrian-American version of another great symbol of Americana, Marion Morrison, aka. John “The Duke” Wayne. Both exhibited rugged individualism…..on steroids. Although our country is a house divided, there is still enough “pluck” in the American citizen, that comforts me that all is not lost…despite the dismal portrayal in certain segments of the media.

Jeff

10. steve on November 2, 2008 9:37 am

I bring up the story of Schwarzenegger because I get inspired by those who rise from humble beginnings to go on to significant accomplishments. Vince Lombardi for example was the son of a meat cutter from New York. Allen Iverson was so poor that his mother had to turn off the heat in the winter so she would have food for her children. Jesse Ventura was a professional wrestler an actor alongside Arnold in Predator and went on to become Governor of Minnesota. William H. Macy gave an incredible performance as Bill Porter in the movie Door to Door,a man with Cerebral Palsy who became a top salesman for his company I believe there are lessons to be learned from everyone in life and they don’t have to necessarily be famous. I fugure if it can be done once it can be done again.

Some disparage John Wayne for appearing in many war movies yet not actually serving in the miliary. For the record, Wayne was born in 1907 and thus would have been 34 years old when war broke out in Europe. Once again, some try to tarnish a legacy on misinformation.

With respect to actors this is from Imdb and chronicles the military career of James Stewart born one year after John Wayne.
    He held the highest active military rank of any actor in history. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps and rose to the rank of colonel; after the War, he continued in the US Air Force Reserve becoming a brigadier general (1- star). Two former actors outranked him: John Ford was an actor before becoming a director and a rear admiral (2-star) in the US Naval Reserve; President Ronald Reagan was Commander-in-Chief, but he made his last theatrical TV appearance in 1965.

In my opinion, the greatest military man to become President and consistently ranked by historians as one of the top 5 presidents ever was Theodore Roosevelt. He defined the image of a great and powerful man and leader. He actually won the Congressional Medal of Honor along with his son Theodore Roosevelt Jr. Theodore the father actually tried to enlist for WW1 but Wilson would not allow him.

11. Jeff Watson on November 2, 2008 9:38 pm

Steve, Theodore Roosevelt conjures up images of charging up San Juan Hill in books that I read as a kid. He grew up a frail asthmatic, believed in mind over matter, and turned his health around through hard exercise, deprivation, and selfish determinism. Having the biggest ego this side of the Pecos River, he had the goods to back it up. He invented the big stick. Here's a Real audio of one of his speeches: http://tinyurl.com/6l26z8 Jeff