Jul

Dr RafterI purchased and have read Shinya's book. The early chapters were interesting, but further reading produced disappointment.

At some point he mentions chimpanzees and how their colons are clear of problems because they are vegetarians. At that point I lost some respect because he obviously does not know about chimps being huge meat eaters. It is actually pigmy chimps or bonobos that are vegetarians, and not normal chimpanzees. Scientists aren't supposed to make mistakes like that. Just like traders are not supposed to confuse General Motors with General Mills.

He believes that judicious control of enzymes are the answer. He makes several references to chewing one’s food fifty times to promote the salivary glands to produce enzymes. And he mentions that fruit is a good source of enzymes, but he never mentions where to enhance one’s supply of enzymes. I only know casually that papaya and pineapple contain digestive enzymes (I’ve used them in food preparation). I would have expected that such an expert would have elaborated on that, but he doesn’t even mention it.

From the first few chapters one gets the idea that he is going to be very scientific, but then nothing happens. Maybe his ideas are correct. Because of his experience he could have been a most credible proponent. Consider the concepts, but don’t waste your money on the book.

Steve Leslie extends:

I am sure Shinya's book is a credible book and I hope it works out for you. If on the other hand you wish to look elsewhere, I suggest you study the life of Jack Lalanne, an American icon in the field of fitness and nutrition. You may have seen him on TV representing his juicer. This follows in the path of the original Juice Man. This product was promoted by infomercial by the man with the gray furry eyebrows some years back. Jack Lalanne had the original show on television titled The Jack Lalanne Show which ran from 1951 to 1985. This is the longest running show on exercise ever in the history of television. He founded a string of health clubs that he eventually sold to Bally Total Fitness. He invented a weight and pulley system and was the inventor of the Smith machine. His feats of strength are accomplishments of Herculean proportion. At age 70 he swam 1.5 miles handcuffed and shackled towing 70 boats with 70 people in Long Beach Harbor en route to the Queen Mary. He once held the world record for pushups, doing 1033 pushups in 23 minutes. He performed this on the TV show You Asked For It. Jack is now 93 years young, still active with a thriving business, and exercises every day. If you want to study someone and utilize his advice, I suggest you go to Jack Lalanne.

Comments

1. Chris Culp on July 22, 2008 3:11 pm

I also purchased Dr. Shinya’s book and found it most relevant with insightful information. While much was not a news bulletin, like cut out red meat, fried foods, and refined sugar, the physiology and gestalt approach to health by natural homeostasis was compelling. It’s hard to argue with a 0% recurrence of cancer by the entire patient population that followed the regimen Those are motivated people to be sure.

Well worth the purchase and I’ll be sending it to family members. It makes intuitive sense that ingesting animals (and attendant fat/oil) with body temperatures higher than ours will clog our arteries as it congeals at our body temperature. For the same reason the viscosity of fish oil is less after ingestion so it flows more freely without causing problems. Dr. Shinya frames his theories well against the natural order of things.

The book is written for layman not JAMA.

2. Yucheng Pan on July 22, 2008 10:38 pm

I just finished reading The Enzyme Factor, borrowed from the public library, and found it is one of the best books I ever read. I am planning to practice Dr. Shinya’s teaching. I just bought this book and Jack Lalanne' book, recommended by Steve Leslie.Yes, the enzyme book is not a scientific book, even its central idea of source enzyme is merely a very remote hypothesis, but Dr. Shinya commands my faith as he speaks from such a vast firsthand experience treating himself (no illness in over 50 years), his wife and kids, and over 300,000 patients, with a 0% recurrence of cancer. Statistics and science based on it can be readily manipulated, but such an experience cannot.

3. Nish on July 23, 2008 2:58 pm

I too read the book. His findings on non-vegetarian, dairy are very insightfull. Not eating few hours before bed time is also something new to me and worthwhile practicing.
    No doubt Dr Shinya is extremely experienced and great track record, but I think he recommends life style changes to the extreme. His daily practice of eating vaccum packed organic grains is an extreme.
    Dr. Shinya’s findings are certainly valuable for most folks, but there are people out there who live past 90 consuming dairy and meat with no cancer. Body type is also responsible to what you can digest and what you cannot. Patients coming to Dr. Shinya obivously must be more vulenrable to food then healthy ones which rarely see a Dr. Dr. Shinya’s patients sample seems to be from a category which are vulnerable to begin with.

4. Brian Cooke on July 28, 2008 2:39 pm

I use Dr. Rafter's Movetrend every day in my analysis of the markets.
    I highly respect his approach to the markets, but will stick with
    Dr. Shinya when it comes to my health. The art and science of markets does not translate directly to be the best judge of the art and science of health. When it comes to health I find much of the scientific community to be a lagging indicator in health information (only now are we talking about removing trans fats from foods and fast food restaurants when the evidence was there for decades). I would place Dr. Shinya right at the forefront of valuable health information.

5. reid wientge on August 1, 2008 10:27 am

See article in today's Bloomberg dot com for discussion of recent study showing prevention of reccurence of stomach cancer can be achieved by killing heliobacter pylori following surgery.

6. Larry Von on August 4, 2008 1:07 pm

Re Jack LaLanne's regimen in contrast to Shinya's ideas…Jack starts his day with four hard-boiled eggs in breakfast menu. Now I am sure Shinya would never recommend HARD BOILED EGGS, considering it would tax the body of digestive enzymes, plus the proteins have been restructured due to overcooking. But, wait, Jack's 93, you think Shinya will make it past 93, have to wait and see, but my bets are that LaLanne will outlive Shinya.